14 May 2007

Scenic Route

Men have a certain knack for taking the scenic route - such was the case as I drove the pool car up to site for the 2nd time in as many days. The trip typically takes 1 hour door to door, but can be hampered by security as we saw yesterday, or by missing the appropriate right turn as we saw today! We were heading in the right direction (North), and could see the road we needed, but could not find a road to take us from where we were to where we needed to be. Solution, drive until the road deadended in dirt, turn around, drive back to the university, turn left, and continue on our way. I must say that for being an older guy, who must have been mildly frustrated, the controls lead who I've been hauling up to site was quite laid back about the whole situation - a far cry from how he reacts to improper controls procedures on the project team!

After a rough start the day picked up pace, I was able to finally get some usable data for my analysis, and helped the auditor perform some basic calculations to verify the current project schedule (or unconfirm it really). We ate at the canteen again, healthy portions of meat and rice, with a side of soft serve ice cream - tasty. After lunch we got right back to work again in our shared office. Fortunately the office we're sharing is intended for a manager so we have ample space to spread out and each pursue our own objectives independent of one another. I've met quite a few of the project staff and will definintely try to make it up to site on a regular basis. It's nice to be so close to the construction site that you can feel the heat and smell the odor of the flare, which was in full effect today, some commissioning activities underway. Maybe that's why Doha is so hot - all the greenhouse emissions from the flares at RasLafan (that was for all my Greenpeace fans out there).

As I was using the men's room today I noticed a few of the stall doors were open, and I can't help but explain that one of the 5 stalls along the back wall had a full window air conditioner all to itself. The others had outdoor vents, but come on - who would pass on your own private air conditioned experience. I hope our villa here has the same setup... and if it doesn't I may just install one myself. Highly recommend that concept for any warm weather climate. Speaking of air conditioning, each office at site has it's own large wall AC unit with remote control... gone are the days of calling the facilities guy with the thermometer and oblivious thermostat adjustments... here are the days of digital temperature control at your own finger tips. I could get used to this.

When I get back to Houston be sure to ask me what the Manager Quote of the Year is - unfortunately too innapropriate when taken out of context, so to help curb your excitement I'll provide the...

Functional Expert Quote of the Week: "Lower your voice" - apparently I was speaking too loudly for our shared office environment, causing a short lived frictional moment between mentor and mentee... not the first, won't be the last, but certainly the funniest thus far.

New Favorite Song: "Map of the Problematique" - by Muse (Blackholes & Revelations album)

3 comments:

Brent said...

Driving around in the desert sounds like so much fun. I think I want to live in Qatar.

Stupid Question: So does a bidet replace toilet paper or just supplement?

As for the A/C in the stall, that sounds sweet, now the air conditioner can blow that "fresh" bathroom air all over the place... "cool" for you... "stinks" for everybody else (puns intended).

Here is today's timely truth:

http://www.despair.com/planning.html

That is how I feel about every lawsuit we are currently involved with... but don't worry, that is exactly how they are supposed to go.

The Maddox Family said...

Since we have to wait for your manager quote of the year, i will at least offer up the manger/lt. quote of the year: "hey rookie, go into the woods and see if the deck gun is hitting the fire" it's only funny when he walked back soaking wet, just imagine the gloriousness of it all.

well corn-row may become slightly cooler as we may be getting a hybrid. I figure I would help offset my obnoxious car that wastes so much gas/breathable air by getting an obnoxious car that doesn't use any gas.

good luck on the bathroom a/c venture. I was thinking and I've got a plan to get rich. 2 words...AIR CONDITIONED(adding another)TOILET! If it's summer you set it at a cool 65 and as your bottom hits the nicely refridgarated seat, you'll never want to leave. I'm tellin you there's somthing here and with your brains and my dazzling good looks we're sure to go to the top.

It's nice to have brent back, but I was hoping to get those double digits yesterday. 9-so stinkin close.

Anonymous said...

I was counting the comments too... I don't think I can consider myself a legitimate blogger until 10 people (indpendently) respond. The 9 yesterday was artificially elevated by multiple posts - something we look for in our contractor's progress reports!

So close - 3 more days left, 25 behind me (89% complete for those playing at home).