06 May 2007

Eskimo Kisses

Last night as I was eating room service on the last night of our weekend here in Doha and I was looking for something to watch on tv. The choices were limited: news, music videos I've seen 3 or 4 times already, movies from the late 1980's, or sports - and by sports I mean the same Doha Championship Soccer game on 4 channels - the only other sports channel had sailing, so I decided to watch the Soccer match. Don't get me wrong the guys were good soccer players, but I thought it was so interesting that they were having a national tournament in a country that as fewer than 1 million residents total... it would be the equivalent of the Tucson city soccer tournament... but played at a much higher level since most of these Doha players are brought in from around the world as paid professionals (just as they do with olympians and engineers - ha!).

The game itself was well played - and the Al Sadd team won 2-1 behind some excellent goal keeping in the stoppage time. I wouldn't know the details for sure because all 4 channels were in arabic; my iPod serving as the only commentary. The Al Sadd team was presented with the Emir Apparent's trophy and each received an eskimo kiss (ie nose to nose), a cheek kiss, or a hand shake (non Qatari's if I had to take a guess) from the Emir's son - hence the name of the trophy. Needless to say the trophy presentation was a lot more intimate than handing out the Stanley Cup. The tv then cut away to the spectators who were leaving the stadium hanging out of land cruisers and throwing large confetti pieces... I turned back to the channel some 45 minutes later and they still were showing the fans and interviewing players - which confirmed how important this match was. Atleast they take their sports seriously here.

In talking to the guys at lunch they told me that the tv at the villas can be much better if you are willing to pay for it. One of the guys has a SlingBox setup back in Texas, but says it can be a bit choppy depending on the network usage... so I think we'll keep it simple with DVDs (if you have any recommendations please forward them our way)... especially tv shows we haven't seen much or the ones we really like: King of Queens, Arrested Development, the Office - both UK and US versions, Band of Brothers, 24, Long Way Round, etc. I figure when it's 130 degrees in the shade, even the pool might not be worth going outside for!

I don't want anyone to misunderstand my comment about music videos earlier - I rather enjoy music videos, especially artistic ones, that don't just have close ups and shots of busy discos filled with beautiful people. My favorite video of all time? Coldplay - "Scientist", which does include close-ups but done in a way far different than most pop videos. My second favorite is actually a middle eastern classic - Tunak Tunak Tan by Dahler Mehndi (check it out on Utube if you've never seen for youself - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZorvKCVl4TM).

3 videos currently rolling in Doha (MTV UK) are creating a new mold: Linkin Park / Good Charlotte - "The River" / Pink. All of the videos are very dark (like My Chemical Romance without the high school feel) and all 3 seem to bombard you with disturbing images of humankind's anti-achievements (Hitler, atomic bombs, starving folks in Darfur). The videos certainly got me thinking, but I am a bit confused by the intentions of the artists. What do you suppose motivates them to share such a dark viewpoint often with loose religious references, but without an obvious response or solution? Anyone can make observations about a war or genocide, but what answers do these artists provide? I'll leave the topic open for comment - since I may be largely overanalyzing the motive$.

Comeback for 2007: Maroon 5 is finally releasing a 2nd album - and for those fans who saw them perform in 500 person venues 4 years ago are anxiously awaiting something special. The first single is quite catchy... I hope the rest of the album meets those expectations.

Clives' Comment of the Day: "We all want progress, but if you're on the wrong road, progress means doing an about-turn and walking back to the right road; in that case, the man who turns back soonest is the most progressive."

Famous Movie Quote: "In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women."

7 comments:

The Maddox Family said...

wow so much to comment on. First off Tunak Tunak Tan...straight gangsta. I mean he must be to put out that kinda crap. I honestly think that I could not only make a better song but a song and video in a day, not like 24hrs day, like 6hrs because I still want some time for guitar hero 2(I will add that I would need the greatest thing ever aka a mac like big daddy marks to accomplish this though). He does give the numa numa kid a run for his money though(youtube it if you are one of 6 people yet to see it).

also soccer...sucks

the musicians are obviously a bunch of posers as you hint at. having a platform as big as they do and want to point fingers at genocide from the past(which we can all agree is a shame) is dumb. If they were wanting to do something good they just might look at genocide that is still going on today or better yet try to do something about it, like giving from their own pockets as well as fund/awerness raisers. but it's easier to just point and act better than though. I'll stop there because we obviously share similar views.

Comeback for 2007 Maroon 5?!?!?! I won't knock them too much but seriously are we gonna overlook the fact that rage against the machine is playing together again?

one last thing(my post are getting really long, maybe i should just piggy back my own blog here j/k) I forgot one group yesterday, Anberlin.

You would have loved emerge last night with nick, it may be a good dvd to get. See you soon

Lauren said...

Just thought I'd go ahead and join the blog here, but seriously is this Tyler's blog or Brandon's? JK!
Like I told Sheri last pm, I think this blog is really neat, and it has inspired me to write an article on the power in solitude (which seems to have been a large reason for all your creativity and insight.) I even plan on pitching it to Relevant Mag. We'll see how that goes.
I have to also say that Anberlin is awesome.
And so is Nick. Seriously, the joy in this guy was amazing and inspriational.
Talk at ya later.

Anonymous said...

Sheri already ruined the surprise by giving me the scoop on last night's Emerge - wish I had been there (probably goes without saying these days).

Appreciate the dedication leaving comment on the weekend - when things typically slow down on blogger.com in pursuit of other joys (ie people aren't trying to waste time at work).

Anberlin is an excellent band - made my blog playlist early in the set, and also was the topic of discussion between Sheri and I after she discovered their album in my truck last week!

I encourage everyone to start blogging - it's been a lot of fun (although I understand I have NOTHING else to do)... and it takes more creative input / inspiration than just having a myspace page (no offense to those of us who have one).

Sleep tight little ones... blog with you tomorrow!

Brent said...

First, Maroon 5 isn't the only one making a comeback... after 3 long days of not being in the office, Brent is finally back.

Second, agree with tmad, all of those "musical artists" are posers. "Misery loves company" and the dark tone in their songs is directed at a culture of misery. They put those images in their videos so that they and their fans can feel "enlightened" after watching the video. They do it to make money because that kind of dark trash sells. That is just my opinion... and I invite anyone to disagree.

Looking foward to having you back in a week or so Brandon...

Brent said...

Tea Boy

Tunak Tunak Tan is the MAN. Can you bring me back a copy of his latest album?

In contrast to those American artists already mentioned... Triple T is no poser... he is the real deal.

Brent said...

This week I thought I would send out timely truths about life. All you have to do is click on the link below to get your timely truth for the day.

Today's timely truth is the universal motto for attorneys:


http://www.despair.com/consulting.html

Tim Gwynn said...

Dahler Mendhi, how much I loved that video in college! I think it was on my myspace profile back in the DQ in Tucson (that's right, before myspace was even cool).

As for Maroon 5, remember, when we had backstage passes and they were complete jerks? Too bad for us they got big anyway. So much for appreciating the early fans. Maybe we can still cling to Gavin DeGraw (what, he got big too? crap!)