07 July 2007

How much is that Thobe in the window?

Have you ever had to calculate in your head what you'll pay for a 25% off sale item at BestBuy with tax included? As Sheri and I venture out to the souqs, malls, and grocery stores we are honing our math skills, often turning to the calculator on our phones to make informed shopping decisions. In the process we're also gaining a good handle on Arabic numbering, especially at the souqs - where language barriers often impede bartering and labels look more like scribbled letters than pricetags...


In honor of Bob Barker's retirement from the Price is Right (great show) - these short games should give you an appreciation for our recent experiences:



*********************************
Put these prices in order from least expensive to most, we find it easiest to convert into US dollars:

-Liquid Tide w/Bleach Alternative (32 loads), 62.75QAR (Qatari Riyals)
-A 12 pack of Dr. Peppers, 3.00QAR / can
-Decorative Artwork at NEXT Home (British), 20.00 GBP (Pounds)
-"Bazaar" Fashion Magazine, "labeled" 35.00QAR (note the parenthetical distinction)
-Wall Clocks (x2), Buy One get One Free, first is labeled 110.00 QAR - second is not labeled
-A 1/2 Tank of Gas for my Accord (54L Tank - 0.80 QAR/L)

*********************************
Help me choose which size I should buy (Waist 34", Inseam 35", Neck 16.5", Sleeve 37", US Shoe Size 12B)... this is much harder for women's sizes, but I didn't feel like putting my wife's measurements online - I have learned a few things along the way.

-Button up shirt Lucky Brand Jeans (M, L, XL, XXL)
-Flip Flops from Aldo (38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43) - a slam dunk for Russ
-Men's Shorts from H&M (28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40)
-Men's Capris from Zara Man (M, L, XL, XXL)
-Boxer Briefs from Zara Man (M, L, XL, XXL) - keep the jokes PG-13

*********************************
Give us the total price I would pay for the following list of typical American items (don't forget about tax and duties):

-Mr. Clean - 22Oz Floor Sanitizer (Orange Scented)
-Pepsi - 24/533mL cans WITH promotional Skateboard (totally worth it)
-Minced Beef - 300g
-White Seedless Grapes - 500g
-Low Fat Milk - 1.0L (bonus points if you can tell me how many days it lasts before expiring)

*********************************
Good luck contestants, the winner(s) will receive one of the items listed above (of my choice) the next time I see you.

Enjoy your Sunday... I'm clocking out on the first day of our work week.

4 comments:

The Maddox Family said...

My guess for that list is 43@$*&'s. I'm gonna let you do the conversion rate on the @$*&'s though. You can at least take solice in the not having to figure out if it's mail in rebates or not. Also on the next post, how bout a pic of the money over there. It always interests me on how gay they can make money look like in foreign countries. My theory is that the gov. thinks that if they make it the money look gay enough then no selfrespecting mobster will be caught dead making it. who knows. well i gotta go see trans formers(which even though I haven't seen it yet, I think I can safely say it's pretty much the coolest movie ever)

Tim Gwynn said...

Brandon, if you are now wearing man capris we won't be on speaking terms for a while. Maybe you remember when Mike tried to rock the man capris in college. Yeah, i think that was where our frienship began to dwindle. I know you're in Europe, but that is no excuse! Stay strong, resist the capris!!

Hey do you have Skype or a US phone number, and if so, tell me the time difference again so we can chat.

Lauren said...

Kind of feel bad that no one, as of yet, has attempted the Price is Right - Doha version...I have to be honest, it just made me feel dumb. Who knows, maybe I'll try it later as a "pick-me-up."

Just want to warn you...there was some type of decipticon/helicopter attack at the local air force base in Qatar. I saw it on the news (and by the news I mean the movie Transformers). Anyways, just be careful. Blackout already killed a bunch of military...something about Sector Seven, a cube, I don't know.

Just to be safe, Sheri, you should probably trade in your Honda Pilot MRV for a safer autobot style car...Pontiac Solstice, H2 or anything GMC really.

Tyler and I are already planning on how to get our hands on the new Camaro...you know, just to be safe.

The Maddox Family said...

safety first...thats why I love you.