23 July 2007

美しい圧倒

Language is one of the most fascinating human elements - sometime between trying to apologize to the woman I bumped on the train and pointing at a McDonald's picture menu to order breakfast I realized how precious verbal communication is, but that other universal forms of communication can compensate when required (no no... McGriddles with Sausage - #3 - this many (holding up 3 fingers), yes meal... Orange Juice, to-go... take away). There's something so elemental about communicating on a 2 year old's level - it's 1 part humbling and 1 part invigorating.



Simply put, Japan is beautifully overwhelming.

During my layover in Osaka, I tried 3 ATM machines, 3 debit/credit cards, successfully combining an HSBC debit card with a brithly colored anime interface to withdrawal 25,000 YEN (think $250 - just divide by 100 and you're close enough for personal financial decisions). I used the Yen with a pixelated map of Shinigawa to convince my taxi to take me to the Le Meridien Pacific and NOT the Le Meridien Grand Pacific (somewhere some marketing genius is having a good laugh). It was 8:00pm when I stopped unpacking and headed downstairs for dinner at TGIFridays, far too exhausted from my trip to get adventurous. Never has a bacon burger with a draft beer tasted so delicious... bacon + beer helped compensate for the annoying "high roller" expat next to me who wouldn't stop reminding me that I was sitting in a seat reserved for a "hot Japanese girl"... did he mention that he played rugby with South Africa's captain and is friends with an owner of the New Jersey Devils?
I met my friend at the Shinagawa train station at 7:30am on Monday morning, bought a train pass, and rattled our way 5 stops to Tsurumi station. We walked through tight alleyways until making a sharp right into the engineering office. 4 hours of work passed and we were on our way back up the road to a local noodle house. My buddy opened the sliding door and we snuck into the back corner stools as we were showered with plenty of Japanese "welcome, thanks for coming, what can we get you" - or so I surmised. We ordered by numbers and pictures, picking up on the theme yet?, and a large bowl of chanpon-men (soup with Ramen noodles and meat) was rushed out to our corner of the bar table. I had been studying the other customers in preparation for the meal, so I knew better than to ask for a spoon; I cracked my chopsticks tilted the bowl and began slurping down lunch. Highly recommend the #1. Only one setback, when I went to open the small door to leave, I apparently missed the "push the small green button" sign, and subsequently ran face first into the automatic door, which conveniently enough opened upon my impact... note to self.

This morning I set out on my own to master the train system, and managed 30 pages in Prince Caspian (3rd book in the Chronicles of Narnia series - light hearted read for the 15 minute ride). I have fallen in love with the trains... an affordable system that gets me to and from work or the nightlife and allows me to use my commute to read/sleep/chat/people watch. Not that I and my 4 minutes commute in Doha have much room to talk, but I will certainly enjoy that aspect of Tokyo.

Other improvements in Tokyo:
1. Faucets turn on by pushing the lever down (not up), a nice option when you're hands are soapy and you have to use your elbow
2. Snack machines every block, so you're never more than a few steps away from a Kiwi Kit-Kat or refreshing Pocari Sweat. If that wasn't convenient enough, you can stop by any of the AMPMs or 7/11s to pick up some snacks
3. Combination toilet and bidet - although I choose to only use the first option, it does remove the complicated "transition" out of the dual commode bathroom - perhaps encouraging the bidet fearful of a trial run. Heated seat is also a nice option
4. Clouds & Rain (in moderation) - a welcome respite from 60 days of sunshine
5. Smiles - everyone here smiles, even if they aren't happy (you know who are), definitely contagious
6. Environmental consciousness: Al Gore would be proud of the countless recycle bins, bicycles, sensor lights in the office, and mass transit systems... I have yet to see a single piece of trash on the street or train station

No place is perfect:
1. Smoking is EVERYWHERE - makes me wish I'd brought my pipe. While enjoying my McGriddle sandwhiched between two chainsmokers I had a flashback to busy Friday lunches at Cracker Barrel where we would sit in the smoking section to avoid the wait and enjoy some second smoke with our omlets
2. Remember those environmental bicyclists - well they use the sidewalks as private lanes and a single chime on the bell is your only warning to dive out of the way... replacing the flash of headlights in Doha
3. A few days in town and you'll realize why my shower hits me chest high, won't be hard for Sheri to pick me out in the crowd... and the bathroom sinks at work seem about 3rd grade level (for the teachers who have to stoop down during recess)
4. I don't plan on driving in Tokyo anytime soon, walking is hard enough. Forget what mom told you about looking left right then left again - a hard habit to break until the first time you nearly step in front of a bus
5. The temperature is quite misleading - 82 degrees sounded like jacket weather, until you consider the humidity, which after a 10 minute walk from the train station can create a mess out of business casual... and the environmentalists keep the air turned off in the office until we arrive - so it takes a good 20 minutes to cool down and towel off.

-------------
I ventured further into Tokyo tonight - reaching the famous Shibuya station and the busiest intersection in the world (picture above). I toured the largest Tower Records, 7 stories separated by genre of music and a rather extensive English bookstore to boot. Dinner at Torigin (small chain restaurant with ENGLISH menus - deciding factor) consisted of Yakitori (skewers of flavorful chicken), and Kamameshi (rice casserole) with a side of Edomome still on the stalk. An authentic and delicious end to an eventful first two days in Tokyo. I'm excited for Sheri's arrival and the weekend to really dig in and explore this amazing city.

8 comments:

Luqa said...

Hi Brandon & Sheri

I found your blog after a search on Google (I was looking for the inredients of "Oumali" and ended up on your blog). After ending on your blog, I realised it was about Qatar (I was looking at the pages you wrote in May), and after realizing you were in Qatar I realised you were working at Ras Laffan... where am I this week!! But now you seem to be in Japan (where I really wish to be someday!!!).

Well just a useless comment, I'll keep reading your blog 'cause it's funny ;o)

Greetings!

Luca

Bullwinkel said...

Can I go ahead and say it? GREAT POST! You occupied like 10 minutes of my time at work and it was glorious.

Where to start. Heated toilet seats...wow. That sounds nice. Reading your post just makes me want to check Japan out. Hopefully I'll get sent there on a business trip someday. Not this one at least.

I'll see your walkintothedoor story and raise you another bathroom story in Nigeria. Remember how I told you I was in the honeymoon suite and it had a vertical shower and jacuzzi? Well, I got moved. Now I'm back in a room with the super narrow tub. So the first morning I take a shower in it, the unthinkable happens.

OK, let me first describe the weirdness of this shower. Imagine standing in a shower and facing the shower head..you have the shower curtain on one side and the wall on the other. Well in this shower, the curtain is my left side and the wall on the right. But the showerhead is ALSO on the right. So you have to stand 90 degrees from how you normally do unless you want to get an earfull of water.

So, I turned in the narrowness that is a bathtub and my foot stepped on the curved part where the tub bottom meets the side. Yep, there was soap on the floor and I slipped forward, towards the curtain. So I grabbed for the first thing available...the Oh so sturdy curtain. Down we went. I ripped the curtain down and caught myself so gracefully by slamming my wrist into the wall of the tub. I was embarrased (even though no one was there) and I still have a bruise.

Nothing like embarrasing yourself or hurting yourself in a foreign country. Sorry to blog on your blog, but I had to tell you about me busting it AGAIN. Have a great trip and keep the posts coming.

Sean Mortenson said...

You know, the runways in Aspen are alot shorter the second time and I keep a fleet of sports cars over in Zurich...by the way that seat's supposed to be for a hot Japanese girl.

Did you watch 'Lost in Translation' before you went? I'd like some commentary on the film please.

seanmortenson@gmail.com

Brandon and Sheri said...

You know that feeling when you discover that your blog is coming up on google searches... cause I do now (rather frightening sense that your boss will stumble upon it and bring a few print outs into the next staff meeting).

Rip van Bullwinkel - thank you for sharing in my embarassment... your physical injuries seem to balance out my emotional ones. The shower in your ear comment made me laugh out loud - while I imagined myself struggling with the same situation (since imagining you was a bit too disturbing).

Sean, funny you should mention the Autobaun... I too was worried about my speed as I took the lunar rover across the sea of tranquility (Brian Regan kills me - I hope you've heard his cd, best 65 mins of your life - especially on a long road trip). Reminds me of a trip to Fry's electronics, a shady liquor store with associated shady homeless man, an xbox tilted on its side hotwired into the hotel tv, and a cigar out by the pool 4 hours before I got my tux on... "the alarm didn't go off"

For the record, neither Sheri or I have seen Lost in Translation, but I guarantee we will be seeing it upon our return (assuming we can find it in Doha). If it's anything like my first 3 days in Tokyo it will be worth having around.

The Maddox Family said...

Tokyo sounds like fun...especially for a giant like yourself. By the way mr. reegan has a new special out on com central. It came out not long after you left and I would say it's funnier than his first. I feel like a let down since I have no funny(ok funny in my head, I know not everybody laughs) comment. Maybe I should only post every other blog since I'm running out of material.

Anonymous said...

Let me just say that I'm jealous that you have 2 whole weeks to explore the culture... my 2 days everywhere (Singapore, China, and Korea) just did not leave enough time to let everything soak in..

I do find it humorous that you're equating mass transit and bicyclists to environmentally-sound practices. I'll take your word on it in Japan, but let me assure you that China is an entirely different story! While bicyclists and mass transit abound, so does the eternally smog-filled sky (although locals claim it's just fog -- right, at 3:30 pm in the afternoon). Although, I must admit, the garbage collectors on bicycles was a sight to see!

Have a great trip & don't chicken out by only going to the restaurants with english menus!!

Brent said...

Brandon

Great post. You have a gift for writing. I wish I had more time to write but I spent all my time reading your post... I loved every minute of it. keep up the good work.

Luqa

Welcome aboard

Bullwinkel said...

You are slacking.