23 January 2008

High Tech Accelerometers

Sheri and I discovered last week that the 'Doha Marathon' has been postponed indefinitely, but we're sticking to our training regiment in preparation for the next closest opportunity to run 26.2 miles... even talking about organizing our own, innagural Doha Marathon with my supervisor and manager: t-shirts, number placards, little gatorade cups, medals, the works. Not to say that if we're prepped in time for the Barcelona marathon that we wouldn't leave planning the innagural Doha Marathon to the experts.

Our longest run thus far was a 10 mile jaunt last Friday morning along the Corniche - a 6 kilometer paved walkway next to the Gulf that has a distinctive 'California' feel to it (minus the shady fish market and large Oryx statue from the Asian games). I learned a valuable lesson about chaffing AND that our iPod Shuffle playlists desperately need more inspirational songs... that's where this gets interactive.

I need your help filling our iPods with ~150 hot tracks that will keep our feet moving forward and our minds ignoring the natural desire to hail a cab. Try to limit your recommendation to your top 5... ah who am I kidding, we'll be lucky to get 2 responses, so leave as many as you like. Don't be shy.

*Note we will be joining the Nike+ crew (www.nike.com/nikeplus) as soon as the high tech accelerometers arrives from the USA. Let us know if you're interested in setting up some joint goals or friendly competitions (Maddox's?).

8 comments:

Cameron Lawrence said...

Well, I'm definitely guilty of listening to way too much so-called mellow music (somehow it still manages to pump me up, some of it). But if I were you, I'd look into some Arcade Fire, Bodies of Water and Muse.

Mrs. Cervantes said...

Hey I have the nike+ thing too! I haven't used it much but Jon and I did the Houston 5k. You will love the nike+ but you have to get the shoes or else you will look stupid trying to run with a pebble in your shoe. Please don't judge me but on my playlist right now is:

Tonight-Jeremy Camp
Radio-Flo Rida
Beautiful Day- U2
SOS -Rihanna
Lose My Breath-Destiny's Child
Run It!-Chris Brown
Let's Get it Started- Black Eyed Peas
Loose Yourself-Eminem

And you definitely need Eye of the Tiger by Survivor

I think this should get you a few miles.Bring on the challenge, but I am not running at 2am.

Brandon and Sheri said...

Cam, I spent 2 hours online last night (thanks to Sean's post about top albums of 2007), and picked up some Arcade Fire for the 'pod. Also picked up some tracks from new LCD 'system, Bright Eyes, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, and Handsome Furs. I have Muse in the mix and will sample some Bodies of Water after work. Thanks for the rec's.

Tina, solid list... I am no longer surprised by your impressive Hip-Hop / R&B selections. I'm especially keen on any song with the lyrics 'Run' in it, even if it is by Chris Brown! I have the +shoes, but Sheri will be sporting a little shoelace bag to hold her sensor (had to have her Asics!). You'll be hearing from our agent soon.

Anonymous said...

Well, I am sure most of my selections would put you to sleep, but here are a couple that keep my feet moving and inspire for 1 more mile:

Open Road Song- Eve 6
Life is a Highway- Rascal Flatts
Unwritten- Natasha Beddingfield
Eye of the Tiger is a must have!
Bad Day- Daniel Powder *very fittingly, this song was playing on my iPod as I crossed the marathon finish line this year; indeed it was a bad day.

Keep up the training!

Jess

Anonymous said...

A few songs from my playlist which has helped push me through a few Corniche/Aspire runs...

Flat on the Floor - Carrie Underwood
Nothin' to Lose - Josh Gracin
Jesus Walks - Kanye West
Hey Ya! - Outcast
Desire - U2
You Feel the Same Way Too - Rankin Family

Check out the Dead Sea Ultra Marathon April 11, 2008 in Amman to replace your Doha Feb plans. Should be a good one!

Eliza

Anonymous said...

I saw this the other day while cruising through iTunes. Not sure if it is any good.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=124686671

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=173959170

The Maddox Family said...

Dude...a couple things:
1. glad to see the blog back up
2. ipods have a setting on how "random" the song they choose are, you can make it completely random or it can think a bit for you
3. I'm excited for some nike+ comps. (although yall are ahead of us on our training...no excuses though TEAM MADDOX DOMINATION STATION!!!!)
4. get ready for some insane music

yeah-brand new
mighty to save-hillsong
jack's mannequin (I won't bother trying to pick one)
firefight-jimmy eat world
mark my words-pod
don't be so hard-the audion

I left a short list with lots of variety so we aren't here all day.

Anonymous said...

I really hope I make Tyler proud with my music selections, but here are some of my faves (I won't even include Jack's Mannequin on the list, as them being one of absolute faves is implied):

Plain White T's - Hate (I Really Don't Like You)
Dashboard Confessional - Hands Down
Hawk Nelson - It's Over or really any of their songs
Yellowcard - View from Heaven
Reliant K - Pressing On *great Nike+ power song for me
This Providence - My Beautiful Rescue

Ok, that was 6 - I don't follow directions very well.

Good luck with the running...TEAM MADDOX DOMINATION STATION

-Lauren (too cool to sign in, so I remain anonymous..actually, I can never remember my stupid google/blogger password)