30 April 2007

You're Other Left

Have you ever been lost - I mean REALLY lost? I was 30 minutes ago... and 60 minutes ago... and 90 minutes ago... I was lost for about an hour coming home from the Hyundai dealership - if only I hadn't made one more stop on the way back to the hotel. I missed one left turn, of course I shouldn't be too hard on myself... considering that more than half the streets aren't labeled, about half of them are under construction, and less than half of them have working street lights. I actually always "knew" where I was, like any man, I just didn't know how to get out from where I was back onto a major street. So I just followed the solid line of brake lights around a rather shady part of town... good news is I now know where all of the immigrant workers spend their evenings - go one block south of the Hyundai dealership and instead of turning left - go straight! I've never been so happy to see a roundabout - amazing how the intersections with street lights are so much worse off than those with roundabouts, might have something to do with them only allowing 1 direction of green at any given time, or that many of the locals are apparently color blind.


Luckily I had my iPod with me and petty crime is nonexistent in Islamic nations (something about losing a hand that keeps folks to themselves). About a half an hour into my Lost in Transportation fiasco, I realized I was skipping 4 songs for every 1 I listened to - I think it's time to update my album collection or trade iPods with someone. Amazing how 1600 songs can become overplayed in less than 2 weeks. Between my ear buds at work, the fm transmitter in my car, and the portable speakers at the hotel I probably listen to music 10 hours each day. It helps avoid an awkward level of that stillness I was mentioning in my last post, and it certainly makes the time pass while sitting in some of the worst traffic I've ever experienced. What surprised me while watching the sidewalks around me, was the number of large groups of men standing out front of small shops and restaurants sharing stories of the day - many quite expressive, as if giving a performance.

Another bonus to horrible traffic, I learned how to lock my doors - all joking aside you actually have to push a round button in the center consul, the button on the door that looks like it locks the doors actually operates the mirrors (leave it to the French)... I also discovered that although my Renault is rather junky, and has a 1.6L lawnmower engine, they were sure to install a speed stick shifting option... which although not too handy in heavy traffic, makes driving around the empty roundabouts near my hotel a lot more exciting.

Before that wrong turn my evening actually got off to a great start. I left the office before 6 for the first time since arriving in Doha, and still managed to be the last one out of the office - shabam! I thought I would use my bit of extra time to drive past the villas that Sheri and I will be calling home. Although they aren't the new ones north of town (close to the golf course), these look only a few years old, quite large, and are more conveniently located to both my work and Sheri's school... unfortunately I found out about the our housing assignment too late to schedule a walk though tonight, but I will certainly update you when I get a chance to visit the new Phillips homestead... it's exciting to see things getting sorted out, but also reality is setting in that we don't have much time (me especially) before we're halfway round the world for the next 3 years...

4 songs that make me want to learn how to play piano:
* Stereophonics - "I Stopped To Fill My Car Up"... which I won't have to do anymore since every station in Doha is Full Service (and at $0.65/gallon that's a good deal)
* Aqualung - "Strange and Beautiful"... Doha in two adjectives
* Beatles - "Oh Bla Di"
* Damien Rice - "9"

For Brent - dear Brent who has posted more comments on my blog than the rest of you lot combined...
Clives' Comment of the Day - Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite.

And thanks to my bro-in-law a new section:
Michael's Mannerisms - I am Michael, and I am part English, Irish, German, and Scottish, sort of a virtual United Nations.

5 comments:

Tina said...

You have got to be kidding me! $.65 a gallon, you would have thought a hurricane already came through. We are paying $2.90 a gallon and when we see it go down to 2.79 it's sad to say, but you know we think we're getting a deal.

I wonder how much it is to ship the gas here to us directly?
Just kidding!

Jon said...

BP,
You are killing us here in the US with your story on the price of gas. Glad to see that things are going good for you. Like Tina mentioned in a previous posting, it feels like we are right there with you.

Brent said...

Brandon

Chances are that if you were at a Hyundai dealership in the first place... you were already lost!!

Maybe that is why they are so cheap, you have to be lost to find it.

Another good story. I almost feel like I am there. As for writing comments, it is the best part of my work day. I am starting to like this blogging thing, great way to stay in touch.

I know what you are saying: "You doo this at work... what about billable hours?" Well lets just say I have opened a Phillips file here at work and each comment I post is written at my "customary hourly rate." Hey, its only $150.00 per hour. At those rates, you will be hearing from me everyday.

Finally, thanks for getting your act together and putting a Clive's comment out today.

Looking forward to hear about the new Phillips homestead tomorrow. Until then.

Sheri said...

Ok So I am a little offended about you saying Brent is posting more comments. I should at least get some recognition for my responses. I know I am not as witty with the comments but seriously!! I guess you still haven't learned from our last Hyundai experience!!! Can't wait to hear about our new home!!!

The Maddox Family said...

Hey hey, sounds like I'd have to agree with Brent on being lost in the Hyundai dealership! I mean seriously .65 a gallon and you don't even have to get that nasty benzine smell on you, sounds to me like you need a gas guzzling muscle car. You could even opt out with an old landcruiser(I'm sure they eat through plenty of gas too) you just need something to say "yeah I'm american and no I don't care about the enviorment". Glad to hear things are good. I tried to burn a dvd with music to send back with you instead of 20 cds but my junk computer wouldn't let me burn music on a dvd(ps I hate pcs). anyways I'll talk at ya soon.

more piano songs:
La La Lie-Jack's Mannequin(or any of their other songs
Landed-Ben Folds(or once again any other ben folds song)
Don't know why-Nora Jones(don't tell anyone but probably my favorite as for the piano)