25 April 2007

Objects on the bedstand may be larger than they appear

During the past 3 months in preparation for our expatriation to Doha I've found myself obsessed with 1st experiences. It's amazing to me how many things can still be new to a 25 year old. Small steps like trying new foods: Sushi, Indian, and Arabic food which somehow collaborates lamb and yogurt into a delicious entree.


I've taken a gondola lift to the top of Keystone not knowing if skiing is as easy as it looks (not easy but WORTH every minute). Or most recently, I woke up this morning and could see the bedside clock something I've been celebrating for the past 2 weeks, and something I hadn't been able to do since before my memory started keeping detailed records. As I sat in a modified dentist chair with a diamond tipped blade and lazer taking turns on my cornea, I realized how far modern medicine has progressed, or so I hoped while gripping the teddy bear tightly. Seconds after having Lasik I could read the clock on the wall, and after a few hours nap I could see the Rockies through the bedroom window at our aunt and uncle's house. The same rockies I had taken on a few weeks before. I'm still healing, but I feel absolutely incredible. My vision went from practically unmeasurable to 20/15 in a matter of 10 anxious minutes. Highly recommend the procedure for anyone who would deem seeing the alarm clock as "lifechanging" and if you are willing to spend the time and $ to get the procedure done by a stellar surgeon with an laser that makes more than he does.

I've bartered for fabrics imported from Rajastan (India) and sat in the front row of a pro tennis tournament for free (Qatar Open). This afternoon I parallel parked in downtown Doha for a first and nearly LAST experience; I have to question why parallel parking is part of the road test for a Qatari driver's permit. Luckily for anyone from a western country with a valid license you only have to navigate the beuracracy of a Qatari DMV not the orange cone course outside. Soon I'll add surviving 130+ degree temperatures with 80% humidity - an accomplishment most 90 year olds can't say / nor do they want to! There's also scuba diving and I've heard good things about the camel races.

My recovering eyes are getting heavy after a long day at work so I'll finish up today's posting with some fun little quirks, that depending on the reaction may make regular appearances or only land the occasional guest spot.

Qataraziest Manuever of the Day: have you ever been in a hurry to get to an appointment or make a dinner reservation... have you ever dreamt about just stomping the gas and pushing those in front of you out of the way to make to the show on time? In Qatar dreams come true... luckily for those sitting in traffic to turn into the Ramada this afternoon the gentlemen maintaining the speedlimit in his landcruiser avoided a catostrophic accident by using the sidewalk as his private thru lane, narrowly missing a hotel guest on his way to the intersection where he probably gave a light honk on his way through the red light. Inshala is arabic for God Willing. When used in business it often means "maybe tomorrow", but when used in the context of driving it means "you can't alter God's plan with seatbelts or speedlimits"... a frustrating and dangerous philosophy.


Clive's Comment of the Day: "In religion, as in war and everything else, comfort is the one thing you cannot get by looking for it. If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth - only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin with and, in the end, despair."


iPod Single of the Day: Usher & Lil' Jon - "Yeah" as in Spring Break 2004 (runner up was Blessid Union of Souls - "Hey Leonardo"... how you can hear that song and not laugh)

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Hi Honey, I am definitely glad to hear about the no parallel parking test. As you have seen I tend to have a little difficulty with that. I am interested in the camel races!

Brent said...

Brandon... if engineering doesn't work out, maybe you can become a camel jockey. Have you ever thought of that?