01 March 2008

Nothing stays new forever

Oscar award winners, Glen Hansard & Marketa Irglova, performed the song 'Falling Slowly' from their independent film 'Once' in front of a packed house of celebs - televised halfway 'round the world (the Oscars were televised in Doha on 2 day tape delay). The song itself was played beautifully, filled with raw emotion that was a welcome break from the costume infused productions for the 3 songs nominated in Disney's 'Enchanted' (3 songs from one movie, come on?). Many thanks to the academy for recognizing a talented Indie-duo outside the stereotypical categories of documentary / short film.

I realized early into the song that Glen has played guitar for a long time... not because he used complex chords or had a confident stage presence. Instead, a good portion of his guitar had been worn away, presumably by years of strumming. Some things are meant to be used. I can still hear my mom reminding me - 'You can't take it with you' whenever I would cautiously avoid wearing my new high tops or gold 49ers jacket, fearful of them losing their newness. Dents, scars, and dirt are signs of life, badges of experience, however painful they may be at first. Few people intentionally ding their doors, scrape their shoes, or drop their iPods, but at some point between the 4th and 17th scratch your mindset changes from maintaining the newness to celebrating the worn remains of a life well lived. In that moment of transitional thought the blemishes which make things less valuable to others make them more valuable to us. This concept passionately manifests itself in the human experience - in the relationships we share with our close friends, loving family, and benevolent Creator, whom treasure us despite our faults.

Top 3 things that I now value more for their imperfections:
1. Three year old Rainbow leather flip flops (worried a tear in the thong may continue spreading)
2. Four year old 'The Shanty' tee shirt (imported of course - thankfully navy doesn't show sweat stains)
3. Thirteen year old leather bound NIV Student Bible with the tattered Easter Bookmark it came with (and a seven year old rose petal of personal significance tucked into 1Corinthians)

Note: my six year old Washburn has some light scratches on the strum guard and a minor chip near the 3rd fret... probably why I haven't won an Oscar yet.

So what items do you cling to beyond their retirement age?

3 comments:

The Maddox Family said...

Lauren has recently been trying to get me out of my flipflops just because they are 6 years old (and there is less than a quarter inch left in the heel of the sole).

I also have a leather money clip (never been into a trifold wallet) that I've had for 9 years. I'm scared about losing that one.

and but of course the 30 year old car in the garage.

Thanks to this post, maybe I can keep them

Lauren said...

Very eloquent blog...

It hit me a new way because until maybe the past year or so, I've been one of those people who "save" the nice shirt, the new purse, the expensive watch, etc. for that random special occasion, thus leaving them in my closet for 99% of the time.

And in not using them like I could, I miss out that special bond between having a broken-in pair of shoes, a gently used leather coat, and a watch that is formed to my wrist alone.

Tyler is really the one who has helped me learn to use my nice things and enjoy them while I do. So, to him, I say thanks, boo. I digress...

Back to the question at hand...

1. Probably, my Bible, too - trying to break in a new one, though, and I've found that to be really tough

2. A '97 bright green girl scout camp t-shirt. Bought at a resale shop in high school and have worn at least a zillion times

3. Then, of course, there is Tyler's flip flops. :)

P.S. As i type this, Tyler is in the living room playing COD4 with his nephews. He is a new man, I tell you, but I am sure our first born will still be called Master Chief

Bullwinkel said...

Nice post. I knew your rainbows would make it in there.

1. This is something I don't necessarily treasure, just refuse to replace no matter how much better it could be. I got a sleeping bag from my aunt when I was like 10. I used it all through middle and high school when I would crash at people's houses. When I slept on a futon in college, it was the blanket I used. Now I STILL take it when I go for a weekend at a friends house or camping etc. I'm 25 and I have a blankie....awesome.

2. Rainbows of course. Coming up on 2 years. (I bought a new pair after my old ones cracked in half from too much mud-riding on four-wheelers).